Friday, February 29, 2008

Word of Warning: Did You Know?

Received from a friend by email.

Somone looked up the statute: http://ogov.newswire.ca/ontario/GPOE/2003/04/03/c7335.html?lmatch=&lang=_e.html

What you read below applies to police cars and all other emergency vehicles with flashing lights "on" and pulled over on the right side of the highway.

The story goes ...

"I just had an experience which I hope you will not share.I was driving on the 417 West near Ottawa at broad daylight at 2 p.m.,when I came upon two police cruisers who had pulled over a third vehicle. I slowed down to be cautious, and was surprised when the second cruiser pulled out and pulled me over.Approaching on the passenger side, the officer asked if I knew why I had been pulled over. I honestly expressed that I had no idea.He informed me that Ontario law now states that when approaching anyemergency vehicle, on the roadside, with lights flashing, you must enter the left lane.

He then proceeded to ticket me, taking three demerits and issuing a fine of , wait for it, . . .$490! (Yes, I'm choking as I type that.)

I realize I did not change lanes, but I do believe I was cautious. My message is, be careful. He said that they are cracking down hard on this because of three injured officers in the last ten days. I did not realize this was the law. Neither did any of the 47 drivers (I counted them)who broke the same law as I sat waiting to receive my ticket."

If you are interested in being a contributing author to this blog, please leave a comment and we will be in touch!

No comments: